NSW Nationals Member for Parkes Mark Coulton has cautioned people to be extra careful when shopping online.
“With so many of us doing more online shopping in recent times, it’s timely to consider the risks posed by cybercriminals and make moves to keep ourselves safe,” Mr Coulton said.
“Cybercriminals can strike from anywhere – and at any time – in a bid to steal your money and personal information.”
Simple steps to protect yourself include:
• Making sure your device software is up to date;
• Using multi-factor authentication for your email, banking and shopping accounts;
• Sticking to well-known and trusted brands;
• Using secure payment methods;
• Being aware of fake sellers; and
• Being cautious when buying on social media platforms.
“ACSC’s online shopping tips and other information are available at cyber.gov.au, through which cybercrime can also be reported,” Mr Coulton said.