Nationals Upper House MP Sam Farraway said the NSW Nationals in Government are offering rent relief to eligible businesses and not-for-profits that lease or license Crown land and who have suffered significant financial losses during COVID-19.

Mr Farraway said rent waivers will be offered for eligible organisations as part of a national code of conduct to support businesses.

“Many businesses and organisations have been doing it incredibly tough as a result of COVID-19 which has had a big impact on economic activity,” Mr Farraway said.

“I warmly welcome this support from the NSW Nationals in Government which will help eligible regional businesses and not-for-profits that lease or licence Crown land to bounce back and get back on their feet financially.”

The rent relief is being offered by the NSW Nationals in Government in line with the National Cabinet Mandatory Code of Conduct for SME Commercial Leasing Principles during COVID-19, which was announced in April 2020.

Rent relief is available for commercial leaseholders or licence holders with a turnover less than $50 million that operate a registered business on Crown land and have suffered at least a 30 per cent fall in turnover, or a 15 per cent fall for not-for-profits.

Eligibility will be determined on fluctuations in their turnover during COVID-19 compared to the same periods last year. The rent relief period will be from April 1, 2020 to September 30, 2020 and rent relief will be proportional to turnover loss.

Minister for Water, Property and Housing Melinda Pavey said the NSW Nationals in Government assistance would help eligible organisations recover financially as the state emerges from COVID-19.

“Crown land lease and licence holders are many and varied – from farmers, caravan parks, not-for-profit community groups, and small businesses from marinas to cafes – but all have had to endure months of uncertainty,” Mrs Pavey said.

“I encourage Crown Lands customers that fit the criteria to visit the website to fill out an online form to have their eligibility assessed.”

For further information and to request an assessment visit