A striking image taken near Lightning Ridge has been selected by Federal Nationals Member for Parkes, Mark Coulton, as the winner of his Christmas Card Photo Competition.
Mr Coulton congratulated Lightning Ridge resident Naomi Stone for being named the winner of the competition, with her photograph titled ‘Sunrise at Kangaroo Hill.’
“This photo captures the intensity of the sunrises experienced in Outback NSW,” Mr Coulton said.
“Ms Stone’s photo includes such eye-catching colour that it immediately got my attention, and I think a sunrise is always a hopeful thing, which is a nice message as well.
“The rocky soil and old structures featured in this photo are an iconic reminder of the industry out at Lightning Ridge, which is opal country. This is a nod to both the history of the area and how resource-rich the Australian outback is.
“My congratulations to Ms Stone for getting up early to take such a wonderful photo!”
Mr Coulton said the quality of both the winner and some of the shortlisted photographs in this year’s competition has been outstanding.
“While I was most immediately drawn to the winning image, there are other images in this year’s shortlist which are of an extremely high quality and showcase both the skill of their photographers as well as the beauty of the Parkes electorate.
“Thank you to everyone who took the time to enter the competition.”
The list of finalists (in no particular order) is:
• Beth Lynch from Dubbo for her photo ‘Spring days spent in the serenity of Dubbo’s gardens’ taken at the Shoyoen Japanese Gardens.
• Mark Middendorf from Warren for his photo of a child at play in a paddock.
• Rowie Hawley from Warren for her photo of a fence post against the horizon.
• Geoff Wheeler from Dubbo for his photos: ‘Mt Mullaley,’ ‘Storm to the west of Dubbo’ and ‘Rural Serenity.’
• Warren Chad from Condobolin for his photo of cattle dog pups entitled ‘New Recruits.’
• Ted Miller of Coolah for his photo: ‘Vinegaroy Road in the evening.’
• Lyn Hunt from Gunnedah for her photo ‘Sunrise from Blackjack Road.’
• Samantha Smith from Cobar for her photos ‘Cobar Sound Chapel,’ ‘Sunset in Cobar at the Old Reservoir’ and ‘Sound Chapel from Within.’
• Simon Bray from Dubbo for his aerial photo taken over Southlakes, Dubbo.
• Naomi Stone from Lightning Ridge for her photo ‘Sunrise at Kangaroo Hill.’
“Well done to each of these finalists,” Mr Coulton said.
“The selected photos will be featured in a collage on my 2023 Christmas card and also on a limited print run of full sized 2024 calendars.”
Residents will be able to admire all the finalists’ photos when Mr Coulton’s annual Christmas card and fridge magnet calendar is delivered to every household in the Parkes electorate during December.
A limited number of full-sized calendars for the 2024 year will also be made available through Mr Coulton’s offices towards the end of the year.