The upgrade and sealing of Bowlers Lane will boost heavy truck productivity and safety to Tamworth’s important industrial estate in a project worth $1.81 million.
NSW Nationals Member for Tamworth Kevin Anderson said the renovation of the 2.39 kilometre stretch of road between the Oxley Highway and Wallamore Road will provide a more efficient access to Tamworth’s major industrial and food processing areas.
“This is great news for Tamworth and it’s also a great boost for local jobs in the growing industrial area in the Glen Artney Estate and the proposed Regional Freight intermodal,” Mr Anderson said.
“I know how important this local investment is, helping to make businesses more efficient and creating more local jobs. Every dollar we spend locally we know how much it multiplies through the community.
“Work begins on Monday, March 30 and is scheduled to be finished by June and once completed it will improve freight access from Oxley Highway to Wallamore Road and access for B-Doubles from Oxley Highway and Wallamore Road to businesses on Bowlers Lane.
““This upgrade will benefit about 5400 vehicle trips a year along this road.
“This is another grant of $1.6 million from the Fixing Country Roads program and Council’s contribution to the project will be funded from its Pavement Renewal budget.”
Tamworth Regional Council Deputy Mayor Phil Betts said the State Government funding will help improve the efficiency of freight traffic movements on the western outskirts of Tamworth.
“Once Bowlers Lane is upgraded it will be able to be gazetted as a route for Higher Mass Limits (HML) B-Doubles,” Cr Betts said.
“There are a number of major agricultural enterprises in the vicinity of Bowlers Lane plus through freight traffic which will benefit from this important road improvement.”
FAST FACTS – Bowlers Lane road upgrade
- The upgrade will begin the week of Monday, March 30, and is scheduled to be completed by June 2020.
- The widening of the road will happen first; with graders, rollers and trucks all on-site.
- The road surface of Bowlers Lane will be upgraded between the Oxley Highway and Wallamore Road.
- The resurfacing of this road will allow for Higher Mass Limits (HML) B-Double access along its length, referring to vehicles that are 19 metres long, and 2.5 metres wide.
- The road will be widened to 9 metres wide; the storm water catchment will be upgraded; with vertical/horizontal alignment when required.
- The surface will allow for more efficient movement of heavy trucks into Tamworth’s major industrial and food processing areas.
- Residents, business owners, and customers requiring access to properties on Bowlers Lane will have access at all time.
- The driveway of each property along Bowlers Lane will be reworked to allow for the road upgrade.