The Queensland government has announced the NSW-Queensland border bubble will be reinstated.
The bubble, originally introduced during last year’s COVID outbreak, will allow students and essential workers to travel from the 12 New South Wales Local Government Areas, where restrictions are being eased, into Queensland.
The bubble will come into effect from 1:00am on Monday, September 13.
Queenslanders who meet the criteria to cross the border will be able to travel into NSW.
Deputy Premier John Barilaro has thanked the Queensland government for the return of the border bubble.
“We are reverting back now back to the previous arrangements for those communities in the north of the state and in the south of Queensland,” he said.
“This will make a difference for those communities who have done it hard.”
If any of the 12 NSW Local Government Areas record cases, they will go back into lockdown and residents no longer will be able to cross the border.
Anyone crossing the border must not have visited a COVID-19 hotspot or had anyone in their home from a COVID-19 hotspot in the past 14 days.
Queensland State Disaster Coordinator Steve Gollschewski said people should expect all vehicles to be checked by police at the border and delays are expected.
He said it was crucial for people to ensure they have the correct border pass.