Congratulations to John Anderson and Larry Anthony, who’ve been recognised in the Queen’s Birthday honours.
Mr Anderson – the former federal Nats’ leader and Deputy Prime Minister – has been appointed a companion in the General Division of the Order of Australia (AC)
It’s the country’s highest Queen’s Birthday Honour.
The citation reads “For eminent service to rural and regional development, to leadership in international agricultural research and food security, to social commentary, and through contributions to not-for-profit organisations.”
Mr Anderson was previously appointed an Officer in the Order of Australia in 2011 for “Distinguished service to the Parliament of Australia, particularly through support of rural and regional communities, transport development, and water management initiatives.”
That distinguished service took place over 19 years from 1989, and included six years as Leader of the National Party and Deputy Prime Minister.
Mr Anderson’s extensive community service includes the following:
• Chairman, Australasian Centre for Rail Innovation, since 2013.
• Advisory Committee Member, BizRebuild (post-bushfires), since 2020.
• Chair, Inland Rail Implementation Group. 2013-2015.
• Chairman, Freeze Dry Industries, 2018.
• Patron, Agricultural Biotechnology Council of Australian, since 2012.
• Co-Founder and Patron, Foundation for Rural and Regional Renewal, since 1999.
• Member, Rural Fire Service, since 1972.
• Chairman, since 2016.
• Director, 2010-2017.
• Former Chair, New South Wales Branch.
Overseas Council Australia
• Patron, since 2019.
• Chair, 2012-2019.
• Board Member, 2010-2019.
Political, Policy and Social Commentary
• Chair, Page Research Centre, since 2012, and Founder, 2003.
• Commentator and Content Producer, Podcast series, You Tube interviews and Sky Television series, current.
• Member, Federal Financial Relations Review Panel, 2019-2020.
• Community Advisor, National Australia Bank, 2018-2019.
• Chair, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Act of Recognition Review Panel, 2014.
• Co-Chair, Indonesia-Australia Dialogue, since 2016.
• Patron, The Fathering Project, since 2015.
• Council Member, Opportunity International Australia, since 2011.
• Patron, Scripture Union Queensland, 2011-2013.
William Wilberforce Foundation
• Patron, 2013-2017.
• Supporter and Contributor, since 2013.
Australian Academy of Technology and Engineering
• Recipient, Chaikin Medal, New South Wales Branch, 2021.
• Honorary Fellow, 2019.
• Chairman, Eastern Star Gas, 2009-2015.
• Senior Advisor, Miro Advisors, 2013-2017.
Mr Anthony has been appointed an Officer of the Order of Australia.
His citation reads “For distinguished service to the people and Parliament of Australia, to political institutions, to business, and youth leadership organisations.”
Mr Anthony was the Member for Richmond from 1996 to 2004.
He was the third generation of his family to hold the seat.
His grandfather, also named Larry, was the Member from 1937-1957, and his father Doug – the former Deputy Prime Minister Doug Anthony – was the Member from 1957-1984.
Mr Anthony has also had an extensive history within our party.
National Party of Australia
• Immediate Past Federal President
• President, 2015-2021.
• Former Vice-President, 2005-2013.
New South Wales Branch, National Party of Australia
• Member, Central Executive, 1994-1996.
• Member, Central Council, 1993-1996.
• Chair, Richmond Electorate Council, 1993-1996.
• Vice-Chair, Murwillumbah Branch, 1992-1994.
• Chair, Sydney Metropolitan Branch, 1989-1990.
• Chair, Sydney Eastern Suburbs Branch, 1987-1989.
• Secretary, Sydney Metropolitan Branch, 1983-1984.
Congratulations on behalf of all Nationals’ members to both John and Larry on their well-deserved honours.
We thank you for your service to the Party and to our country.