The 2021-22 State Budget has delivered on the NSW Nationals in the state government’s commitment to help communities recover from the devastating impacts of drought, bushfires, floods and COVID-19.
Deputy Premier John Barilaro said the budget would give hope and reassurance to communities who have shown extraordinary resilience in the face of compounding disasters.
“The 2021-22 State Budget is hard proof this Government has and will continue to do all it can to assist in the recovery from crises, with funding for the recent bushfire and flood events now totalling $5 billion,” Mr Barilaro said.
“The NSW Government is committed to supporting flood-affected communities and today I can announce more than $590 million for the Storm and Flood Recovery Package.
“This funding will help with ongoing clean-up efforts, financial assistance for individuals, small businesses, and primary producers, the restoration and rebuilding of flood-impacted assets, and a range of disaster recovery programs following severe floods across parts of the state.
“I say to people across regional NSW, you are not alone in this. We will continue to deliver the support needed to enable disaster-affected areas to keep moving forward in their recovery.”
Highlights from the NSW Government’s support for disaster recovery include:
- $5 billion in joint Federal and State funding for bushfire response, recovery and preparedness efforts, with more than $460 million for the NSW Government’s response to the NSW Bushfire Inquiry including:
- $268.2 million in additional funding to continue vital projects to bolster the future of our fire agencies and the preparedness of communities, following the devastating 2019-20 bushfires.
- $590.4 million for the Storm and Flood Recovery package which includes, in partnership with the Commonwealth:
- $215.3 million to clean up storm and flood impacted properties;
- $203.7 million for Recovery Programs to assist community, infrastructure, industry, and environmental recovery, with further Commonwealth funding being sought;
- $171.4 million for disaster recovery grants to support small businesses, non-profit organisations, and primary producers.
For more information on all available disaster assistance, please contact the Disaster Customer Care Service at Service NSW on 13 77 88.