Local Aboriginal communities are set to benefit from a share of the NSW Nationals in the state government’s donation of more than 700 digital thermometers to Aboriginal organisations across NSW to help them monitor and slow the spread of COVID-19.
NSW Nationals Upper House MP Sam Farraway said Transport for NSW donated the thermometers to support the work being carried out by a number of organisations who have a lead role in Aboriginal community health and other essential services.
“The COVID-19 pandemic has encouraged different parts of the government, who usually would have very little in common to work together to manage the risk of the virus and assist communities across the state. This includes our Aboriginal communities and the people who call that country home,” Mr Farraway said.
“COVID-19 has been a challenging time for all communities across NSW, and unfortunately Aboriginal people aged 50 and older who already suffer from one or more chronic medical conditions are at higher risk, so it’s important we do everything possible to help slow the spread of the virus and provide the basic equipment to do this.
“Thirteen organisations across the electorate of Barwon are among over 220 organisations across NSW to receive the donated thermometers, which have made their way to areas as far north as Tweed Heads, as far south as Moama and all the way inland to Broken Hill and Bourke.
“These thermometers may seem like a small part in the overall fight against COVID-19 but the additional support will allow these organisations to better protect staff, customers and their wider communities while they continue to deliver frontline services.
“We will continue to do everything we can to manage the risk of the virus and assist people in Aboriginal communities across NSW.”
Barwon organisations receiving thermometers are:
• Gainmara -Birrilee Pre-school
• Bourke Aboriginal Health Service Ltd
• Brewarrina Child care Centre
• Condobolin Aboriginal Health Service Inc
• Coonamble Aboriginal Medical Service Inc
• Coonamble District Funeral Services
• Dhirraway Dharrun Bawu Aboriginal Child and Family Centre
• Maari Ma Health Aboriginal Corporation
• Murdi paaki Regional Assembly
• Murrin Bridge Aboriginal Health Service Incorporated
• Orana Haven Aboriginal Corporation
• Walanbaa Dhurrali Aboriginal Child and Family Centre
• Walgett Aboriginal Medical Service