As of 5.30am today, the SES has received a total of 8,443 requests for assistance and has carried out 1,399 flood rescues.
The LGAs of Armidale Regional Council, Ballina Shire Council, Bellingen Shire Council, Byron Shire Council, Clarence Valley Council, Coffs Harbour City Council, Glen Innes Severn Council, Kempsey Shire Council, Kyogle Council, Lismore City Council, Nambucca Valley Council, Port Macquarie Hastings Council, Richmond Valley Council Tenterfield, The Hills Shire Council and Tweed Shire Council have been disaster declared.
For information on what support and assistance is available visit www.nsw.gov.au/disaster-recovery
The Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment (AGDRP) of $1,000 per eligible adult and $400 per eligible child is now available for people impacted by a flooding event. This is a one-off, non-means tested payment and is available to eligible people in those affected local government areas who have suffered a significant loss, including a severely damaged or destroyed home or serious injury.
• A low-pressure system is likely to deepen to form an East Coast Low and move towards the central NSW coast later today
• Widespread heavy to torrential rain, damaging to destructive winds and damaging surf is likely to develop to the south of the low. This includes the Illawarra, South Coast, Sydney and possibly the Central Coast and Hunter Coast. All elements may last into Thursday.
• While the east coast is likely to see widespread rain, thunderstorms and flooding, inland areas could also see severe thunderstorms with localised heavy falls, gusty winds and even some hail possible for the next few days.
30 evacuation orders are currently in place, affecting 59,000 people.
• Ballina Island
• Low Lying Areas of Western Lennox Head
• Low lying parts of Ballina CBD
• Low lying areas of South Ballina
• Low lying areas of Ballina and surrounding areas
• Low lying parts of Wharf St, Casino
• Low lying parts of Casino near river
• Low lying areas of Lawrence and surrounding areas
• Tweed Heads
• East Bellingen
• Low lying properties in Maclean
• Low lying areas Broadwater and Cabbage Tree Island
• Woodburn, Swan Bay and Surrounds
• Clarence River at Brushgrove and Cowper
• Low lying properties in Southgate
• Low lying properties in Ulmarra
• Murwillumbah CBD and low-lying areas of East Murwillumbah
• Low lying areas of Coraki
• Rocky Creek Dam
• Brunswick River at Mullumbimby
• Marshalls Creek at Billinudgel
• Ocean Shore, New Brighton, Sth Golden Beach
• Low lying properties in Iluka
• Lismore CBD
4 evacuation warnings are currently in place, affecting 294,000 people.
• Middle Richmond River Casino
• Northern Rivers
• Uki and surrounding areas
• Clarence River Near Maclean
There are 13 Resilience NSW evacuation centres:
1. Banora Point Salvation Army – Cnr Leisure & Woodlands Drive, Banora Point
2. Southern Cross University – Military Rd, East Lismore NSW 2480
3. Kyogle Memorial Hall – Cnr Summerland Way & Strathden Street, Kyogle
4. Murwillumbah TAFE – 146 Murwillumbah St, Murwillumbah NSW 2484
5. Ocean Shores Country Club – 113 Orana Road, Ocean Shores NSW 2483
6. Coraki Uniting Church – 50 Adams Street Coroki NSW 2471
7. Maclean Showgrounds – 12 Cameron St, Maclean NSW 2463
8. Kingscliff TAFE – 806 Cudgen Rd, Kingscliff NSW 2487
9. South Grafton High School (relocated from Grafton Race Course), Tyson Street
10. Lennox Head Cultural Centre, 1 Mackney Lane, Lennox Head
11. Brunswick Hotel, 4 Mullumbimby Street, Brunswick Heads
12. Mullumbimby RSL – 58 Dalley St, Mullumbimby
13. Casino High School – 90 Queensland Rd, Casino
Many other roads across northern NSW are closed. Check Live Traffic NSW for latest details: https://www.livetraffic.com/
194 schools are known to be non-operational, operating via online learning or only offering minimal supervision.
Personnel and resources:
• SES: At least 550 members are on the ground.
• RFS: 6 x aircraft have also been dispatched to assist with reconnaissance and rescue operations where weather allows. There are 201 personnel and 56 appliances dispatched.
• FR: 6 in-water strike teams (9 people per team) across Casino, Grafton and Lismore.
• The Australian Defence Force are deploying aviation assets, high clearance vehicles and 200 personnel to support NSW SES in the Northern Rivers.
Important Messages from the SES:
• Never drive, ride or walk through floodwater.
• Stack possessions, records, stock or equipment on benches and tables, placing electrical items on top.
• Secure objects that are likely to float and cause damage.
• Relocate waste containers, chemicals and poisons well above floor level.
• Activate your Home or Business FloodSafe Plan.
• Keep listening to your local radio station for information, updates and advice.
• Keep in contact with your neighbours.
• Be prepared to evacuate if advised by emergency services.
• Act early as roads may become congested or closed
• For current NSW SES Community advice go to: https://www.ses.nsw.gov.au/
• For the latest weather warnings go to: http://bom.gov.au/nsw/warnings/
• For the latest traffic advice go to: https://www.livetraffic.com/
• 1800 227 228: Register details of someone with unknown whereabouts
• NSW Police remind people in flood affected areas to register their movements using the Register, Find, Reunite website – https://register.redcross.org.au/ – which is a National system managed and operated by Australian Red Cross.
If you’re in distress and need support, please reach out to those around you, GPs or other health supports. For assistance call the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line 1800 018 444. For more help, contact:
Lifeline 13 11 14
Suicide Call Back Service 1300 659 467
Mental Health Line 1800 011 511
Kids Helpline 1800 551 800
Beyond Blue 1300 22 4636