Disaster assistance is now available in the northern NSW local government areas of Glen Innes, Severn, and Inverell following severe storms and flooding earlier this year.
Deputy Prime Minister and Federal Nationals Member for New England Barnaby Joyce said assistance is being provided through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
“The severe winds and heavy rainfall resulting from these terrible storms caused widespread damage across the impacted councils,” Mr Joyce said.
“The Australian Government is standing with the people of New England who were sadly impacted by the severe flooding and storms in July.”
A range of practical assistance measures is now available to help individuals, primary producers, small businesses and charities get back on track.
The assistance available under the DRFA may include:
• Help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged (eligibility criteria applies)
• Support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets
• Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and non-profit organisations
• Freight subsidies for primary producers, and
• Grants to eligible non-profit organisations.
For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact Service NSW on 13 77 88. To apply for a concessional loan or grant, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit www.raa.nsw.gov.au.
Further information on disaster assistance is available on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at www.disasterassist.gov.au and the NSW Government website via www.nsw.gov.au/resilience-nsw