Two local Nationals MPs are calling on the Coffs Harbour community to have their say on plans for the $1.8 billion bypass of the city.

Federal Nationals Member for Cowper Pat Conaghan said the community had been active during the six-week Environmental Impact Statement public exhibition period, and there was just one week left to make a submission.

“We’ve seen a great turnout with locals flocking to the Coffs Bypass Project display office, keen to understand the project’s tunnels, route and design,” Mr Conaghan said.

“While considering the detail, it’s important to remember the major improvement the bypass will deliver for motorists, and the local economy, with 12,000 direct and indirect jobs generated over the project’s life.

“I encourage residents to have their say on this important Coffs Harbour bypass EIS.”

NSW Nationals Member for Coffs Harbour Gurmesh Singh said the bypass project remained on track to see early work start in 2020.

“This is an exciting time for our region, as the Australian and NSW Governments work together to deliver the Coffs Harbour bypass,” Mr Singh said.

“We’re delivering on our election commitments, having introduced tunnels, lowered the road, and reduced the height of the bypass from just north of the Coramba Road interchange to just north of the Gately’s Road tunnel.

“Once complete, the bypass will remove up to 12,000 vehicles a day from our CBD, making Coffs Harbour an even better place to live, work, and visit.”

“Together, the Nationals in Government will build the Coffs Harbour bypass.”

The EIS can be viewed online, or people can visit the project display office and its popular multimedia stand at 11a Park Avenue, Coffs Harbour. Submissions need to be in by midnight on Sunday, October 27.