The NSW Nationals have weeds quivering in their metaphorical boots, with $11 million worth of funds going to the NSW Weeds Action Program. That’s a lot of Roundup. The Program is part of a bigger strategy aimed to tackle and minimise the impact of invasive species, which also includes mobile phone technology for weed identification and management.
The funding will be available to councils and regional Local Land Services to support their efforts with awareness and compliance in local areas, leading to strong regional coordination to help stop the spread of weeds.
The initiative forms part of the Government’s NSW Invasive Species Plan and the NSW Biosecurity Strategy. Other Government reforms underway to address the weeds issue include:
- Introducing new Biosecurity legislation
- Implementing a new ‘Cloud based’ NSW Biosecurity Information System
- Forming 11 Local Land Services Regional Weeds Committees
- Reinvigorating the state’s research capacity
- Delivering hand held mobile technology and aps for weed management.
If you are after further information on weeds and other pests in your area, get in touch with the NSW Invasive Plants and Animals Enquiry Line on 1800 680 244 or email email@example.com.
Or, if you’d like more general info, or to learn about the NSW WeedWise smartphone app, please click here.