Previous winner Holly Walker pictured with the Hon Jenny Gardiner as she delivers her acceptance speech.
Now open - 2016 Young Nationals Jenny Gardiner Scholarship
Applications are now open for the 2016 NSW Young Nationals Jenny Gardiner Scholarship.
In 2014, the NSW Young Nationals launched a $2,000 scholarship for a regional student who has to live away from home to complete their tertiary studies in a regional area.
The scholarship is aimed at University and TAFE students and apprentices, and will be awarded to the person who best demonstrates a commitment to their community and to regional New South Wales.
The Jenny Gardiner Scholarship, named after retired NSW Member of Parliament and NSW Young Nationals Life Member, also the first female director of any political Party in Australia, the Hon Jenny Gardiner, is a great opportunity for the NSW Young Nationals to make a real difference in regional education and support young regional people returning to our communities.
How to enter:
Please write an essay, up to 2,000 words, describing what living in regional Australia means to you, and how you would like to contribute to regional communities in the future. Please forward your entry to email@example.com, along with:
- your name,
- date of birth,
- home town and how long you have lived there (if less than two years then your previous home town),
- the course or apprenticeship you are studying and what year you began, and
- other information you believe will be helpful in making our decision (up to 250 words).
The successful scholarship recipient will be selected from those applicants who satisfy the following criteria:
- Has lived in regional New South Wales for at least the past two years, and
- For the purposes of this scholarship, a regional town is classified as one that has a population of less than 100,000 at the last census;
- Was under 25 years of age at the beginning of 2016;
- Must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident; and
- If planning to attend university, their first preference must be for one of the following universities:
- University of New England,
- Southern Cross University,
- Charles Sturt University,
- University of Wollongong, or
- University of Newcastle; or,
- If planning to complete an apprenticeship:
- It must be a certified apprenticeship and;
- It must be undertaken in regional New South Wales.
Key Dates – 2016 Scholarship:
|Nominations open||Tuesday 22 November 2016|
|Nominations close||5:00pm, Friday 23 December 2016|
|Recipient announced||February 2017|
|Funds transferred||April and August 2017|