Grants available for local Aboriginal arts and cultural projects
Aboriginal artists and arts organisations in the Coffs Harbour electorate are encouraged to apply for NSW Government funding to support local projects that encourage creative exploration and expression of cultural identifies, Member for Coffs Harbour, Andrew Fraser, said today.
Mr Fraser said the NSW Government is proud to support projects that encourage Aboriginal creativity and storytelling.
“Aboriginal projects encourage greater appreciation of Aboriginal culture and our region has talented Aboriginal artists who can showcase their culture and develop their career,” Mr Fraser said.
“I encourage our local artists and art originations to celebrate Aboriginal culture and apply for program funding for our community.”
Deputy Premier and Minister for the Arts Troy Grant said the NSW Government is proud to support a vibrant, distinctive and contemporary Aboriginal arts and cultural sector in NSW.
“Participation in the arts promotes personal and collective wellbeing, as well as contributing strongly to an innovative and robust local economy and the NSW Government is committed to increasing participation,” Mr Grant said.
“Aboriginal art encourages greater appreciation of Aboriginal culture in the wider community and enables Aboriginal artists to express their creativity.”
The fund supports projects that:
- Enable Aboriginal communities in regional NSW to explore and express their cultural identities;
- Engage and promote regional Aboriginal artists, arts and culture in NSW;
- Encourage people to engage with Aboriginal arts and cultures;
- Build the capacity and sustainability of Aboriginal arts organisations in regional NSW;
- Increase professional and skills development opportunities for Aboriginal artists living in regional NSW.”
The NSW Aboriginal Regional Arts Fund offers up to $5,000 for individual professional artists and up to $15,000 for organisations. The closing date for applications is 14 March 2016.
For more information: www.arts.nsw.gov.au