Disaster assistance for local communities following storms and flooding in NSW
Minister for Justice Michael Keenan and NSW Deputy Premier and Minister for Justice and Police Troy Grant today announced disaster assistance for communities affected by storms and flooding in June and July 2016.
A range of assistance is available including:
- Help for eligible people whose homes or belongings have been damaged;
- Support for affected local councils to help with the costs of cleaning up and restoring damaged essential public assets;
- Concessional interest rate loans for small businesses, primary producers and not-for-profit organisations;
- Freight subsidies for primary producers; and
- Grants to not-for-profit organisations.
Minister Keenan said assistance is being provided through the jointly-funded Commonwealth-State Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA).
“Today’s announcement demonstrates the commitment of the Australian and New South Wales governments to support disaster affected communities,” Minister Keenan said. “Inland NSW has been doing it tough with storms and flooding in June and July, and this helping hand will make a real difference.”
Mr Grant said sixteen local government areas would receive support under the NDRRA as part of today’s announcement.
“Following 20 July’s wild weather, assistance is now available in Bathurst, Bogan, Cabonne, Carrathool, Coonamble, Cowra, Forbes, Hilltops, Narromine, Oberon, Orange, Parkes, Upper Lachlan and Warren,” Mr Grant said.
“On top of this, Narrandera and Narromine now join Bland and Coolamon to access NDRRA assistance following the 18 June storms and flooding,”
For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, please contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444. To apply for a concessional loan, grant or freight subsidy, contact the NSW Rural Assistance Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit raa.nsw.gov.au.