Coalition Agreement a win for Northern Rivers and Clarence Valley
Federal member for Page Kevin Hogan has welcomed the new National Party Agreement with Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull that puts issues affecting regional Australia at the heart of the Coalition Government.
“The Coalition Agreement is very good news for the Northern Rivers and Clarence Valley,” Mr Hogan said.
“As part of the agreement we have secured more funding for telecommunications in regional areas to fix mobile phone blackspots and poor TV reception, more help for regional students studying at University and a new jobs programme so local kids can get local jobs.
“There is also good news for farmers in their business dealings with the large supermarkets chains.”
The new Agreement, which will underpin the relationship between the Nationals and Liberal parties in the Turnbull Government, covers a broad range of key policy issues. They include:
- Ongoing funding for communications technology including the mobile phone and television black spot programs.
- Establishment of a new jobs program to address areas of high regional unemployment.
- Proper consideration by Cabinet of amendments of the Australian Competition Consumer Act to prevent abuse of market power.
- Support for the Government’s Infrastructure Investment Program, including our commitment to the Inland Rail.
- Implement a plan to overcome financial barriers in accessing higher education for rural, regional and remote students.
- Support for our commitment to the Northern Australia and Agriculture White Papers.
- Increase Family Tax Benefit Part B payments to stay-at-home parent families with a child below the age of one eligible.
- Maintain the existing policies in relation to climate change, carbon taxes and emissions reduction targets.